Friday, May 29, 2009

Nairobi: Day 2

Lots of adventures today...

I was up pretty early, and had breakfast with Peter before he left for the office for a few hours. While he was gone I had the excitement of an extremely cold shower because I forgot how to turn the hot water on! There's a switch right outside the door for that. Next time I won't forget.

Later we went to lunch at the Swahili Plate restaurant. We ate there last night too. The food is great and they have an awesome chopped pepper condiment made with oil and whole cardamon seeds. Today I had the chicken biriani.


We also stopped by Peter's Green Belt Movement office to meet a few people and take a few photos. Peter's staff member Ben may take me out to one of the communities when I return from Tanzania to plant some trees while he's mapping the area. Here is one of the small tree nurseries:


Afterwards, we drove through the wealthy area of Karen over to the Giraffe Center. We arrived at 5:45, thinking we had 15 minutes until close, but actually they closed at 5:30. No worries. Peter offered the park staff something (150 Shillings) to get them to offer me an opportunity to feed the giraffes from outside the park. After all, they're certainly tall enough to reach me from the outside the fence.

My Swahili is getting better because I understood a little of what they told Peter, so I asked why we were instructed to go slowly and it was because we might see giraffes from the road just a few minutes from the gate. This is kind of hilarious because you could be going 80 miles an hour down that road and there is NO way you wouldn't see those giraffes. They are massive. Especially Jock, the bull that is separated from the females. I dont even know what keeps them in there.



Since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped by the other Greenbelt Movement office on our way out of Karen. Everyone was gone (this is a three day weekend), but I took some pictures of the grounds. It's beautiful here.


Looks like the macro setting on my camera works just fine. What do you think?



After the office, we went to downtown Nairobi... at night. Needless to say, I don't have a single photo of that experience. It was surreal. So many people everywhere! I wish I could have snapped a picture, but it was too dangerous. Loads of students were flooding out of the university, and all of the restaurants were packed. It was interesting to find many restaurants blaring loud dance music. We parked at the parking lot of Peter's downtown office and walked around for a couple hours. Everything was packed, so we left the city to eat at a restaurant closer to home. I had curry goat. So delicious. So fattening...

No comments: